“So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.” Genesis 1 27 & 31
The culmination of all creation, the thing that God saw as very good was and is man. The words are the King David’s but I wonder if the angels quoted words similar to psalm 8, after creation was complete.
LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens. Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. …When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?
You have made them[d] a little lower than the angel and crowned them[f] with glory and honor. 6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their[g] feet: all flocks and herds, and the animals of the wild, the birds in the sky, and the fish in the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
In the 1968 prophetic film In the Shoes of a Fisherman there is a character named Father Telemond. He gives a speech in the film to a church tribunal. It is a heretical speech, however as he ponders his faith he says these words, “If I were to some how lose my faith in God in Christ and the Spirit, I would still believe in the world and the goodness of the world.” . In that sense he takes the seat of the angels who look upon creation externally and removed and are in awe. They long to understand how Christ would become a man. 1 Peter 1:12.
When God made man in his image he created the means for God to become man. It paved the way for eternal life either in the success or failure of mankind. Romans 5 18-19 reads, “Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.”
I tell you my friends that even as I consider these scriptures I feel like I should take my shoes off because we are standing on holy ground. I live my life so casually in this flesh, this clay, in which I am made, but it is filled with the breath of God. Each of us, “live and breathe and have our being in him” We are made in his image. We are brothers and sisters conceived in sin because of Adam, but able to be born of the Spirit because of Christ. John 1:13 tells us we can be “children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” I pray that we will understand the profound nature of the Gospel. For indeed Jesus, the Son of God “became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” See his glory today, see the glory of man today, and see the glory of who he made you to be today! On the sixth day God made man in his image and ‘it was very good’.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpR9pFtDm08
No comments:
Post a Comment