Badge

Fellowship of Christian Bloggers

Friday, June 10, 2011

John 1: 15-34 The sign from John

“John testifies concerning him. He cries saying, this was he whom I said. “He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.” From the fullness of his grace we have received on blessing after another. For the law was given through Mosses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God, but God the one and only, who is at the Father’s side has made him known. “ John 1:15-18

In the passage above John the Baptist is speaking not John the Gospel writer. John’s ministry is young vibrant and at the pinnacle of success. He is popular and moving in revelation. The greatest revelation that he is sharing with his listeners is the eternal nature of Christ. He is not deal with chronological questions. We know that John was older than Jesus from the scriptures and we know his ministry started before Jesus’ as well. He is speaking to an audience of Jews and Gentiles and saying that we have received one blessing after another, but he is saying that in the context of being a Jewish prophet pointing to a Jewish Messiah. Therefore he makes reference to one who knew God intimately. When referencing Mosses the Lord says “I speak to him face to face” as a friend. However when John makes reference to Jesus he is speaking about a son. He is a son who came to make his father known to his brothers from every tribe nation and tongue, first the Jew then the Gentile.

His revelation and popularity were such that the Jewish leaders came to see if he were the Messiah. They made room in their heart for this possibility, ‘though he had done no miracle.’ When answering the question of these leaders John references their source documents, the scriptures. He quotes Isaiah 40:3. He is a voice crying in the wilderness, preparing the way for the Lord and makes the path straight for all men. First to the Jew, ‘comfort my people’ ‘speak tenderly to Jerusalem’ ‘her sins has been paid for’ later the passage says ‘and the glory of the Lord will be revealed and all mankind will see it together.’

Mosses took off his sandals before The I am; John says he is not worthy to untie his sandals. The God Mosses saw was a life giving Spirit. The God that John was pointing to was God in the Flesh, the Emanuel or God with us. When speaking with a similar and possible the same group as recorded in John 8:58 Jesus said ‘I tell you the truth… before Abraham I am.’ ‘They picked up stones’ but John the Baptist is declaring it openly for those who have ears to hear what the Spirit is saying. John did not do it without a sign he was told by the Lord, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit’ John then said, “I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God’

We too are given a sign that we might know that Jesus is the Son of God. ‘When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you know that I am the one I claim to be, and I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.’ In reference to all that the law of Mosses taught and the glory of the temple and it role in the atonement of sins, Jesus said, destroy this temple, and I will raise it up in three day’ and the temple he spoke about was his body.

No comments:

Post a Comment