Badge

Fellowship of Christian Bloggers

Thursday, May 12, 2011

What Business Are You In?

What Business Are You In?

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8

I manage social service program, I counsel drug addicts, do marital counseling. I teach at a bible school, pastor a church, and do leadership conferences for churches overseas. I broadcast on TV and radio; I do a little bit of itinerant preaching. I apparently write blogs, so what business am I in? If I am a Christian as I claim to be I am in the same business you are. In fact every Christian is in the same business. The only distinction is the mechanism that the business takes. We are witnesses. There is rightly a great deal of talk about the Holy Spirit these days, and the power of God. Acts 1:8 says that the power of God is that we might witness about him (Jesus).

The Apostle Paul was a writer, a craftsman in the field of tent making, a business man, a lecturer among the intellectuals of Greece, a teacher, church planter, and evangelist. He exercised the right and privilege of being a Roman citizen. He was a witness. In Philippians 1:7 he describes himself as a defender and confirmer of the Gospel. I believe that when he defended the Gospel it was with words and when he confirmed the Gospel it was with answered prayer and signs and wonders. Words and answered prayers were simply means of witness for Paul. His prayer was that we “may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his (God’s) love is.” Ephesians 3:18

The next time that you are tempted to think of yourself as a teacher, carpenter, lawyer, stay at home Mom, factory worker or business man, remember if you are a Christian you are in the witnessing business. Boldly, clearly, with gentleness and meekness at times and snatching people out of the fire at others, all with the purpose witnessing to the love of God, as demonstrated through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment