A Private Kingdom
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness.”
Matthew 6:33 is a wonderful and often quoted scripture. It is however often quoted in the context of “and all these things will be given to you as well.” However they are subject to the decay of sin, verse 19 of this chapter expresses it this way, “where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.” Life application Christianity has its place in the life of the believe, I would like you to consider these simple lyrics the Lord gave to me a number of years ago as a focus of meditation on heavenly rewards not earthly gain.
Jesus, your all my life needs….guide my steps in word and deed…focus my attention of eternity…that I might please you….
Salvation it comes free…by your Cross at Calvary…may my light shine to the lost…that I might please you….
Works and crowns, they are facts…help me stand against the attacks…help me walk the narrow way… that I might please you.
The pleasing of God through Christ is a private matter not a public matter. It is based on heavenly rewards not earthly. The Kingdom that is sought in verse 33 is found in verse 5-19 in private prayer, private fasting and private giving.
The most frightening words in the scriptures are found at the end of this sermon that Jesus is preaching. He says to those who have done his public work as evidenced by prophecy, casting out demons and wonders in His name, “… I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!” Matthew 7:23 In this season let us make our calling and election sure by returning to a private and deep relationship with our savoir whom we claim to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment