Badge

Fellowship of Christian Bloggers

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The God Man Opens the Scroll


Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?”  But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it.  I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.  Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.” Revelations 5: 1-5

Between Revelations chapters four and five there is a great transition in the roles of Jesus that reflects the heart of the Gospel.  Revelations 4 declares “you are worthy”, Revelations 5 ask the question “who is worthy.”    Heaven has no difficulty comprehending the divinity of Jesus Christ.   His glory was witnessed in heaven before he came to earth and after he returned to heaven.  Jesus references His glory in John 17:5 when he prays to the Father his prayer references the glory “I had with you before the world began”, yet heaven was slow to acknowledge his role as human representative.  Slow enough that John began to lament for the fate of the human family when none were found worthy to open the scroll and its seals.  The responsibility of Jesus as the only representative of mankind who is worthy is demonstrated in the title that is referenced.  He is from the tribe of Judah and the lineage of David.    For so it is written, in the scriptures, that the Messiah must be both in order to qualify as he who is worthy. 

Genesis 49:10 reads, “The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, until he to whom it belongs shall come and the obedience of the nations shall be his.” Jeremiah 23:5 declares, “The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land.” Both prophecies are fulfilled in Jesus. However this is only a partial qualification.   Hebrews chapter four brings the full measure of his qualifications together for mankind. “Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.  Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4: 14-16.

John is weeping because he is failing to understand that Jesus is the sinless man is worthy to open the scrolls and break the seals.  John failure is often our failure.  We forget how human Jesus is.   Jesus ascended into heaven as a man. He sits at the right hand of the Father as a man.  He will return to earth as a man.  All the while being eternally “God from God, true God from true God, one in being with the Father”. 
I feel like I need to say something of the scroll that is written on both sides.  A scroll that is written on both sides can be partially read.   This would mean that you could obtain a partial understanding.  To truly know God we must understand that which is hidden, His divine nature. John 1:18 states “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.” You must also understand what is seen.  John 15:15 “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” 

John was comforted when he recognized both the divinity and the humanity of our savior.  I pray in the difficult days that are to come, you will be comforted in the knowledge that our savior is both God and Man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment