To the angel of the church in Smyrna write:
These are the words of him who is the First and
the Last, who died and came to life again. 9 I know your afflictions and your poverty—yet you are
rich! I know about the slander of those who say they are Jews and are not, but
are a synagogue of Satan. 10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I
tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will
suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I
will give you life as your victor’s crown.
11 Whoever has ears, let
them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who is victorious will
not be hurt at all by the second death
The Church at Smyrna was a great church. It is one of two of the churches of
Revelations that is not rebuked by the Lord.
The qualities that kept this church strong are personal and doctrinal. Polycarp was the head of this church. He was a direct disciple of the John the
Apostle. Being disciple by the apostle
who wrote so much of love was a great advantage. Polycarp had a devotion to him that extended
throughout his life. This devotion also
led to an honoring of the Jewish roots of the faith including the keeping of
the Sabbath and Passover.
When you do what is right there is generally a counterfeit that
arises beside it. Jesus the judge points
his finger at those directly when he says, “I know about those who say they are
Jews and are not, but are of the synagogue of Satan.” Polycarp and the disciples of Smyrna must
have taken great comfort in these words.
Obeying God can leave us feeling lonely, Elijah’s words, “I am the only
one left” come to mind. A modern way of
feeling this same pain is to say; “maybe I really am the one who is crazy.” Dear saint of God, you are not crazy and you
are not alone.
God is raising up in this day more than 7,000 who have not
bent the knee to false relationships or false doctrine. Polycarp fought the fight of faith until his martyrdom
sometime between 150 and 170 AD. Let us
endure onto the end as he did and be provided the victors crown from the one
who has earned our love and devotion through his incarnation, perfect life, and
crucifixion.
No comments:
Post a Comment